Saturday, September 17, 2011

Figment and other distractions

When I originally set out to write a blog, I did it with the shiningly pure intention of sharing my writing with the world. As a writer, I'm typically shy. I stow away in corners, but if anyone tries to peep over my shoulder, I'm like a frantic armadillo curling into a ball. As a result, it's generally only my family who reads anything of mine.

Last winter, my friend Isaac told me about a writer's website called figment.com. It took me a while to get warmed up, but now I'm a regular "fig". There are some truly talented writers there. There's genres for poetry, short stories, novels, anything a little writerish mind can dream of. If anyone is interested in reading some of my work, they can follow this link to view my profile:
figment.com/Savannah-Finger

Figment's become a very fun place for me. I have an unintentional attitude toward my stories that makes writing like romance: I can't have a fling with a book. A story socks me in the stomach, and I'm in love forever. I don't do well writing multiple stories at the same time. Occasionally another idea teases me, and I yield to it for awhile, file it away to age, and repeat. Since the dawn of Figment, though, I've started allowing those teasings to distract me, lead me off in different directions. A couple of the things I've published are short stories/poems/screenplays which I loved writing, but know aren't going to go farther. So, still hopeful, I'm sending them out to the other figs, wanting them to be loved a little at least.

My two big projects, The Hearthsinger and The Default Sweater, probably won't enjoy as much posting. With these two, I'll most likely just post the first few chapters and ask for critiques (eek!). This coming week, I'll post the synopses of these two guys, as well as my screenplay, The Way the Scroll Is. Which was just so dang much fun to write.

 A side note: Hooray! Rain's finally hit Texas! It's amazing to see how grateful people are after five months of scorched grass, blazing 105-degree temperatures, wildfires, and drought. It's almost as though we were the thirsty ones, instead of the earth. I was at our church this afternoon when the roof started to rumble with rain. Everyone stopped and looked at one another in amazement. It poured like it was trying to make up for the last few months. I think it'll have to try harder, though...

We opened the patio door and let the rain smell seep in. I saw an older couple walking through the puddles of the parking lot, holding hands. After so much devastation in this area, the realization of rain startled me and made me almost want to cry. It's amazing what you learn to appreciate when it's suddenly not there.

So we central Texans are reveling in our wet wonderland, and it's September, my favorite time of year. I should start baking stuff. Maybe I can sweet talk my mother into making a pie. Mm, pie....

No comments:

Post a Comment