Saturday, October 1, 2011

Out of my Comfort Zone

My strongest instincts in writing have always always been toward fantasy. I'm terribly lazy about doing research for stories, so historical fiction is off-limits unless I get my head in the game, and I've always shied away from modern stories. Writing is a kind of escape from the real world, and especially in this last crazy year of school, when my life is full of math problems and college applications and computer programs, there's nothing I want more than to leave that behind. Not to say that my life is unpleasant--just busy!

I've always been drawn to write fantasy. The whole idea of creating another, new world is irrestible.

But suddenly, there is The Default Sweater. 

Writing a modern novel is freeing in a completely different way that writing a fantasy is. Writing fantasy can be exhausting; you have to constantly invent, because you're creating a completely new world. In a modern novel, however, the world is around you, there to draw on. It's a wonderful break sometimes when I need a rest from Hearthsinger, a fantastic cure to writer's block. I might not be working on my main project, but at least it's keeping me at the keyboard/notebook occasionally.

Sometimes, stories emerge in your head fully formed. Just as with the title for this one, Erin marched through my mind one day, found a comfortable corner, and set up shop. I really enjoy writing her.I'll be posting more as soon as I can! Just now I'm really enjoying putting it on Figment, but I'm tentative to post more than the first three or four chapters. And still, Hearthsinger is my priority, especially with my secret project coming up in the spring (more on that later!).

I'll be posting more about the inspiration for Sweater in another post, and you can hear all about the sweaters that I have and kissing and all the chocolate chips on top. Do I end these posts with mentions of food too often? It must be that it's autumn. I haven't baked a thing yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment