Saturday, February 2, 2013

After January

This year, speeding up to This Month.

I remember the delicious free time of Last Year, when senioritis relaxed me, soothed me. I had gotten into college, after all. Work was pointless. I had much better write.

I did, and finished The Default Sweater in May. That was a gem of a day, what with triumphant story endings and new jobs and wonderful new beginnings and endings all rolled into one.

Then came summer, and I drifted away from my computer, moving across an ocean. That was all right, because after all, I had finished the story. It was time to let it sit and mellow before tackling it again come fall.

Fall did come, and it was exhilarating. It bowled me over with the power of a fist. Still, I didn't come back to write.

I would, I said, over Christmas break. But Christmas break was lonely and restless.

Now, January is gone.

It's a relief. I feel a little tired, a little pale and sick, exhausted from picking up pieces of paper and assignments and broken glass, and now I think, I'll write.

Soon.

1 comment:

  1. It's probably not the club anyone wants to be in, but welcome to academia, that-thing-that-sucks-my-time-and-consumes-my-soul. I keep thinking that my future blog posts after graduation will be much more cheerful, haha!

    It sounds like you've had a whirlwind of a few months. I mean, when I think about my first semester in college, I can't imagine getting much done - it's a miracle that I wrote anything that semester, with all the fun, drama, and essays piling in. If Figment existed back then... ah. I don't know what I'd do.

    You really should be proud that you finished TDS. It's a brilliant novel and, no matter what kind of revisions you do, it will always get better. I love your writing. *hugs* And you WILL write. It'll be okay :)

    ReplyDelete