Monday, May 20, 2013

In Which I Speak of Summer

I'm home!

Everything is in! Papers are written! And yes, grades are received.

*slumps on the ground*
*hibernates*

Wake me when it's time to go back.

How strange, to dismantle the room and make it decidedly un-ours, putting furniture back into standard configuration for whomever will live here next. Down come the paper snowflakes, the posters from the walls, the notes from neighbors, silly pictures from vacation and letters from family.

And then, removing the pictures from the door and locking it one last time.

A road trip seemed like a good, temporary goodbye to college life, so a friend and I piled our belongings into her car and took off for North Carolina.


Then Charleston:






Then Savannah:




....which included some interesting detours to the Savannah Scottish Games, a fantastic afternoon on which men in kilts threw heavy objects to prove just how rugged they were, wore clan tartans with pride, and presented fork art -


....and the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist:





Other adventures abounded, of course, including run-ins with a squirrel, an angry mother cat, skin-staining Icees, sailors, and some free-spirited travelers in Tennessee.

Now, I'm home, and ready for a vacation. And the new free time does have some benefits.

Primarily, I'll have more writing time!

*does a happy dance*

As is plain from the activity on my figment page, college caught up to me. I've been plain out of the loop, but now I'm getting back and working on those last few chapters of TDS that have been bugging me. Lilla, I hope, will be chugging along too.

There will be more short stories coming, hopefully this week, as well! I really enjoyed working on the April ones. It was a great challenge, and now I'm up for it again!

Also, I'll enjoy being home. Home is nice, though my skin feels odd in the summer air and I miss the Hill. Home is good.








3 comments:

  1. love your beautiful photos! was it fun being in a place that shares your name? hope you have a fabulous summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Janelle! Yes, it felt very fun being in Savannah--it was funny to see my name all over the place! And it's a beautiful city.

      Hope you and Patrick and the little guys have a fantastic summer as well!

      Delete
  2. Ahhh, yes, I remember the struggle of having to take everything off the walls at the end of each year - it's really sad. I mean, even though I was SO ready to graduate, packing up my office made me really weepy. It's hard when you've made a nest somewhere, to just put it back the way it was, haha.

    The road trips sounds like it was a lot of fun! And I'm happy that you're going to get back into the writing groove this summer :D

    ReplyDelete